I am a damn good writer. It’s not bragging when it’s true.
That’s me, at the end of a 10-hour day of construction work volunteering with HERO Housing of Alabama. I’m there as part of a martial arts event. Everybody else is either sacked out on their sleeping bags, drinking sweet iced tea or rolling with other martial artists.
And I’m in the corner writing because I just had this great idea for a short story. There’s something about grabbing a handful of words by the throat and shaking them until they turn into effective, beautiful prose that’s as much fun as I can have with my clothes on*. I love the craft. I love the process. I love the lifestyle writing creates for me and my family.
I also love the challenge: no matter how good I get, I can always do better. I once dreamed of writing well enough to get published, then I wanted to write something that would get me paid. Somebody recently compared me favorably to Hunter S. Thompson, but I aspire to a favorable comparison with David Quammen or Joe Lansdale.
Some of my recent favorite gigs include:
- Several dozen blog posts about small business success.
- A white paper on virtual desktop integration.
- Helping a former stripper and madame write her memoir.
- A profile piece on four of my living heroes.
- Interviewing a minor celebrity.
- Ad copy for small and medium businesses.
- Kickstarter campaign copy for books and games.
- Two trend pieces on the burgeoning craft mead industry.
- A Cthulhu/WW2/Cyberpunk/Time Travel crossover role-playing game adventure
- The obituary for Keiko Fukuda: a feminist icon and Judo pioneer.
- A novella about two drunk idiots and a goat.
If you need great written content. I will write it for you. I don’t come cheap these days, but don’t worry. If you’re not in a position to buy BMW, I can put you in touch with some reliable Chevys and Toyotas.
*DISCLAIMER: Saying it’s as much fun as I can have with my clothes on in no way implies I am wearing clothes every time I write.